VCA Hosts Three National Events Annually
Every year, the Vizsla Club of America (VCA) hosts two National Field Events and the National Specialty and Companion Events. All Vizslas entered in any National Event must have a DNA number obtained through the American Kennel Club at https://shop.akc.org/products/akc-dna-test
The VCA National Field Trial is held in the fall and awards our National Field Champion, Amateur Field Champion and National Puppy Stake winner.
The VCA National Gun Dog Championship is a walking field trial in the spring. Both of our field events require dogs to pass a Qualifying On The Line conformation examination (see below).
Our events typically rotate annually in the three geographic regions:
West: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY
Central: AR, IA, IL, KS, LA, MN, MO, ND, NE, OK, SD, TX, WI
East: AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IN, KY, MD, MA, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, VT, WV
Eligibility for Entry
To be eligible to run in a VCA Field Event, all dogs must have an AKC registration number (conditionally registered dogs are not eligible to enter any VCA Field Event), an AKC DNA profile number, and a permanent breed standard qualification number (Quality on the Line) or pass the breed standard qualification at the event. Eligibility for entry must be printed in its entirety in the field event premium.
For more information, see VCA Field Events Guidelines
A Vizsla is ineligible to compete in VCA Field Events if trained on the field trial grounds 30 days prior to the first advertised date of a VCA Field Trial. This does not include running on those grounds in a field trial, a hunting test, or a designated training area during the previous week.
Field Advisory Committee and Contacts
The Vizsla Club of America Standing is the primary contact for field-related events.
Pat Carney / Vca.firstname.lastname@example.org
VCA Field Advisory Committee
Karen Bravender / email@example.com
Sabrina Corliss / firstname.lastname@example.org
Chad Chadwell / email@example.com
Mike Heller / firstname.lastname@example.org
Julia Bonar / email@example.com
Tania Campbell / firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2022 NFT Chair
- 2022 NGDC Chair
- 2022 NSCE Chair
Standing Field Advisory Committee Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose: The Vizsla Club of America Standing Field Advisory Committee (FAC) shall be the primary contact for Field related subjects. Advice and recommendations will be provided to the VCA Board of Directors on current issues and future changes that will be necessary to ensure that quality Vizsla Field Events continue.
- Standing Field Trial Chairman will be selected by the President of the VCA and ratified by the Board. The Chairman’s position will be reviewed every three years.
- The committee shall follow Robert’s Rules of Order.
- The committee will be made up of the following:
- Standing Field Trial Chairman
- Six elected members, two from the East, two from Central, and two from the West. In addition, the chairs of each championship will be appointed to the committee automatically for the year preceding their event.
- The six elected members will serve a three-year term, each limited to two consecutive terms. Terms begin on January 1 and end on December 31 of the third year following a Board election. Rotation follows the calendar year, beginning with 2018 (East), 2019 (Midwest), 2020 (West), and so forth.
- VCA Members may send agenda items and names of individuals qualified to serve on the Field Trial Advisory Committee to an annual Field Trial meeting. The annual Field Trial meeting will be open and held during the running of the National Field Trial Event, preferably between the Open and Amateur Championships. At this meeting, the committee will address the following:
- Agenda items will be discussed, and the committee will send recommendations to the FAC. Any proposed changes by the FAC will be sent to the VCA Board for review and a vote to adopt or reject said changes;
- Nominations for members of the FAC will be gathered. A list of nominees with qualifications will be compiled in addition to those received from members responding to the annual vacancy notification placed in The Vizsla News. All nominations will be sent to the VCA Board for final selection.
- Each nominee will submit a resume to the VCA President by December 1. FAC members must be VCA voting members, very experienced and knowledgeable in the organization, participation and judging of Field Trials. All nominees will submit a resume to the VCA Board. Elections of FAC members by the VCA Board shall be completed by December 15. Qualifications should include the following:
- Field Trial Chairperson
- Field Trial Secretary
- Field Trial Judge
- Field Titles earned
- Training and handling
- Any other Field-related activities
The FAC must have: (a) An OPEN Field Trial meeting at the National Field Trial. If there is to be a vote taken on any matter before this committee, only VCA voting members shall be allowed to vote. (b) A FAC meeting (closed) will be held after the open Field Trial meeting.
- Selecting judges for VCA National Field Trials
- Reviewing and updating guidelines and requirements for National Field Events
- Attending as Member/Appointee of the FAC drawings for all National Events
- Assisting in gathering items for the agenda of the AKC Pointing Breed Advisory Committee and making recommendations to the VCA Board
- Keeping the VCA membership informed of upcoming items concerning field events through The Vizsla News and the website
- Acting as a consultant for all field-related matters coming before the VCA Board
- Assisting in the running the National Field Events
- Appointing someone to submit Parent Club approval to the AKC for all regional Vizsla club field trials
- Submitting to the AKC the qualifications and procedures for VCA National Field trials
- Proofreading premiums for National Field Trials and working with host clubs and Standing National Events Chairman to ensure compliance with National and AKC guidelines
- Acting as a liaison between VCA, regional Vizsla clubs, individual Vizsla owners, and the AKC regarding field trial or registration issues
Approved: August 14, 2007
Revised July 2009 VCA Board of Directors Meeting, Corrected July 31, 2012